2018 Earl E. Bakken MDC Summer Internship Program
- Open to anyone interested in learning more about medical device design, product development, and hands-on prototyping
- Volunteer-based program; minimum ~15 hours per week commitment in the MDC
- Learn about important prototyping techniques like 3D printing, CAD, and machining as well as have the opportunity to work in interdisciplinary design teams with medical professionals and technical mentors on real medical device development projects.
- Support the MDC by helping to maintain the facility as well as participating in MDC outreach events. The program is suitable for students at both the graduate and undergraduate level.
- Apply here!
The Medical School Personal Statement: Essay Strategies to Help You Get Accepted
- Join Ariana Metchik, a Former Admissions Committee Member at Harvard Medical School, for our FREE webinar on Mar 28, 2018, 8:30 PM
- What does it take to write a successful personal statement for medical school? What are good topics? What about topics to avoid? Watch our webinar to find out!
- During this presentation, we will cover:
- The Holy Trinity for your medical school personal statement
- Common medical school personal statement mistakes
- How to strategically select a strong topic
- How to apply these lessons to your own personal statement
Scribe Job Opportunity
Are you a pre-med student taking a gap year before applying to medical school? Dr. Douglas McMahon is looking for a full or part-time scribe to work with him starting this spring or summer. You would be working in his clinic in downtown Minneapolis as well as the St. Paul suburbs. This is a great opportunity to get clinical experience, and if you are interested contact Dr. McMahon at email@example.com!
Personal Care Attendant Job Opportunity
Medical Scribe Job Opportunity
Are you a female upperclassman? Are you interested in becoming a scribe? This opportunity is for someone who is pre-health and can work either full-time or part-time for a year commitment (minimum of Monday, Wednesday, Fridays 9 AM – 5 PM). It’s a laid back clinic and the provider that you will scribe for is a professor at the U of M, so this is a great opportunity for a letter of recommendation. She’s looking mainly for a female scribe since there are a lot of patients in this practice who are uncomfortable with men in the room during doctor’s appointments.
This is a great opportunity if you are planning on taking a gap year! You would also function with more independence than a scribe, learn a TON about medicine, and there are no weekend or overnight shifts at this clinic.
Please follow this link to view the job posting and to apply!
Pediatric BMT Ambassadors
The UMN Pediatric BMT Program is looking to build a network of pre-health undergraduates interested in BMT. They have started a Facebook group for Pediatric BMT Ambassadors! Ambassadors will be responsible for advocating for pediatric rare diseases and raising funds for research. There will be many ways to contribute, and there is no minimum time commitment! You can find the Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pediatricbmtambassadors/
Navy HPSP Contact Information (Scholarship)
Army HPSP Contact Information (Scholarship)
Robert L. Messenger
Staff Sergeant, Army Health Care Team
7900 International Drive Suite 1068
Bloomington, Minnesota 55425
952-239-8454 (cell and text messages)
Minnesota Reading Corps and Math Corps Tutor Position
The opportunity is a tutoring position offered by the Minnesota Reading and Math Corps. We are a nonprofit program of AmeriCorps that aims to end childhood illiteracy and increase math proficiency right here in Minnesota.
We fully train all of our tutors so little background is needed. This is a great way to explore education, spark interest in math or English in children’s minds, show leadership, give back to the community, and be a role model for children. The reason I chose to contact you is because your group aligns with at least one of these goals. I have personally read information on your student group and believe that your members would have an interest in our program.
We appreciate the service of our members and offer them benefits in exchange for their commitment. All tutors receive a monthly living stipend that can be anywhere from $500-$1,100 (depending on if they are part time or full time), up to $5,700 dollars in an education award that can be used for loans or tuition, the option to put student loans on forbearance, and a chance to build their resume.
Minnesota Reading Corps and Math Corps Student Association President
Atlantis Project Hospital Fellowship
Our summer break Fellowship gives pre-med students 20+ hours a week of hospital shadowing exposure with doctors in Spain and other locations in Europe. The pre-med leaders scholarship (see attached flyer below) would cover airfare, living stipend, and full program cost for a 3-8 week shadowing experience abroad (up to $8499 Value).
St. Mary’s Volunteers
St. Mary’s Health Clinics is looking for volunteer interpreters (for students that are bilingual Spanish/English) and other types of volunteers. It’s a free clinic for uninsured individuals that has locations throughout the cities and networks with the local hospitals, labs, and specialists as well as volunteer doctors and nurses to provide full spectrum care.
firstname.lastname@example.org: Elizabeth Miller, volunteer coordinator